for the basic croquettes:
3 pounds potatoes, cubed
8 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons milk
4 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup dehydrated potato
vegetable oil for frying
bacon, cooked and chopped
hard cheese (parm, cheddar), cubed or shredded
soft cheese (goat, feta, brie, blue cheese)
parsley, dill, or chives – chopped
ground meat (chicken, beef, pork), cooked
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and fill it with cold, lightly salted water. Bring the potatoes to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a medium and cook for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to a large bowl. Add the butter, salt, pepper, milk, one egg and mash. This is where you can mix in optional add-in ingredients.
- Prepare 3 shallow plates, one with the flour, one with the three eggs, beaten, and one with the breadcrumbs and dehydrated potato. Scoop out enough mashed potatoes to roll it into a golf ball size portion.
- Roll the croquettes first into the flour, then dip them in the beaten egg and finally roll them through the breadcrumb potato mix, making sure they are completely covered.
- Add vegetable oil to a large pot so that it’s at least a couple inches deep and heat it over medium high heat. Fry these in batches and only fry about 4 or 5 at a time.
- Place on paper towels to cool.
Green Chili Enchilada Potatoes
Potato wedges are smothered in savory green chili, topped with cheese, and baked in the oven before getting topped with fresh tomatoes and green onions.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
1-pound Yellow Potatoes, cut into wedges (8 per potato)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
As Needed Salt and Pepper
3 cups Prepared Green Chili Sauce (Salsa Verde can be subbed)
¾ cup Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
¼ cup Roma Tomatoes, diced
¼ cup Green Onions, diced
¼ cup Sour Cream (Optional)
- Rinse and scrub the potatoes, then cut them into wedges. You should have 8 wedges per potato.
- Toss the potatoes in the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown on the outside and tender on the outside.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, gently heat the green chili in a sauté pan, when the potatoes are done arrange the potatoes in the pan with the green chili. Top the potatoes and green chili with the shredded cheddar cheese, and place in the oven for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with the tomatoes, green onions, and sour cream.